Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday notes - New Beetle

    How do you update a retro design? I read this comment today and it brought back something I said about the late PT Cruiser. Thought that when it was updated from its 40's look, it should have morphed into a 50's design complete with big fins and wild colours. Imagine my disappointment when the PT was cancelled. Same with the Chevy HHR  -  neat design, but what to do for an encore? Nothing, as it's cancelled too after 2011. Well, now VW has stepped up to the challenge and done a new New Beetle (see below).  The look is distinctive and won't be mistaken for anything else, but with its chopped roof it has been updated nicely. No longer just a chick mobile? Any thoughts?


    Great racing this past weekend.........

    The F1 race in Shanghai was a barnburner. After about 30 minutes it looked like the same old, same old, so off I went to the gym. Dam! Two of my favorites, Hamilton and Webber were faring badly, one in 4th, one in 16th. Turned out to be a great race  -  when I checked the results later, Hamilton had won and Webber was 3rd  -  one of the best races in years! So I'm in better shape, but missed out on a rare and very exciting F1 race. Dam again!

    Now how about NASCAR at Talladega? Four wide at the finish line and the 2nd closest NASCAR race in history.  I like the new "couples racing" (an acquired taste, I'm sure). To see the two cars (Johnson & Earnhardt) get to the front with only feet to go was fantastic. Not a Jimmie fan, but anyone should applaud a race finish like this one.

    Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Popular Posts