Sunday, January 18, 2009

CHAMP VAN DER LINDE QUITS RACING AT 30





    Etienne van der Linde has called a temporary halt to his motor racing career and announced that he will in future be concentrating on his business.

    The 30-year-old former single seater star, who won championships in karting, Formula Vee and Formula GTi and production cars in South Africa and in Formula Opel Euroseries in Europe, competed in the Bridgestone Production Car Championship in BMWs from 2002 to 2008.



    “I’ve decided to take a break from motor racing to concentrate on my business, Van der Linde Systems,” said the youngest son of motor racing legend and respected engine builder and tuner Hennie van der Linde.



    “I would like to thank ADF Motorsport and Team Afrox for the opportunity to drive their BMW 330i last season. While I love circuit racing, I have not been enjoying myself as much as I used to. I’ve considered my future and the current situation in production car racing.



    “During my career, which started in 1990 when I was 12 years old and which has taken me around the world, I have been used to professionally-run formulas where the rules are consistent and which have attracted top flight teams.



    “The production car rules keep changing and they are inconsistently applied. I do not think this is healthy for the sport. With the withdrawal of Nissan from the championship at the end of last year we have now lost the last participating manufacturer in the premier class A.

    “I feel the time has come for me to move on, for the time being at least. I am not retiring. Should the right opportunity and circumstances arise, I will return,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Popular Posts